The University of Kentucky was chartered in February of 1865 by the Kentucky Legislature, as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky, a department established, pursuant to the terms of the Morrill Land-Grant Act of 1862, for the purpose of college-level training in Agriculture and Engineering, within Kentucky University, a private, sectarian institution organized at the same time.
Anatomy and physiology classroom, 1898
1878-1908: Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky
(Separated from Kentucky University and also known as State College)
|Panorama view of the State University, 1911|
1916-Present: University of Kentucky
|Fans at at UK football game, 1972.|
Ensuing denominational and theological controversies, as well as financial difficulties, prompted the Legislature to formally separate the College from the University in 1878, and the former, in 1880, began a century-and-a-quarter of development as an independent institution of higher education on the site of a municipal park and fairgrounds donated by the city of Lexington. In 1908 the A&M College attained University status, and in 1916 it assumed its present name.
(A college within Kentucky University)